• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Kunoichi

Katsaridaphobia. - phobia of cockroaches

I am very very phobic of cockaroaches. Not something I tell people because I'm embarassed. I was laying down in bed reading and one flew on my kindle so i've spent last hour 1/2, 2 hours. completely cleaning the entire house..and i mean sterilization. I also may have broken my mom's bf lamp. I need to find lightbulbs (not moving anymore right now) to see if it is. He won't be happy.

I'm washing all my clothes and sheets now, vacuumed, bleached every single thing, dusted, had to take a shower and change clothes. Also running a empty dishwasher just in case. I cleaned the entire house in a rush like a tornado was after me.

I found one kernel of pop corn in my room so that's probably what attracted it and its wet outside..so maybe its normal but logic doesn't work for me in this case. It beyond freaks me out. I keep looking around, scared to death i'm going to see another one.

Some people may few this as stupid but I don't care. This is something that is very real and very difficult for me to deal with. It is also why I'm such a OCD cleaning person. I managed to kill both of them (found a tiny one in another room) while shaking and crying and now i feel like I just want to get sick. Now I'm just trying to stop shaking and crying.

So its 5:30 am and I'm not going to sleep. So that means I'll be up all day when I'm already feeling like crap and ill. It's stupid and people don't get it and people say how "common" it is. But I don't know if its normal to spend 2 hours cleaning and re-cleaning and re-sterilizing (house is always clean anyways) because I saw one cockroach. But whatever, maybe it doesn't matter.

I'll probably end up deleting this but I needed to type it out. Thanks for reading if anyone does.

Bye.

well that is a little obsessive ninja girl but those little critters are creepy. You have to clean anyways so that was a good reason....don't worry bout the lamp he'll laugh it off. We use electonic plug-ins to keep buggys away. they actually work

well that is a little obsessive ninja girl but those little critters are creepy. You have to clean anyways so that was a good reason....don't worry bout the lamp he'll laugh it off. We use electonic plug-ins to keep buggys away. they actually work

It's true but that's part of the phobia. It is only way I feel safe. It seems stupid to alot of people and like it isn't a big deal..but it is for me. And I need to know its okay that I deal with it. I am working on not letting it be as effective on me (I was able to kill the bug this time which was a huge step for me) and I don't deal with it alot because don't see them alot. I keep the house immaculate but ya know, its normal with where i live, weather and such. but yeah. thanks at least for caring and reading Pog. As always, knowing someone cares helps me.

Hey, hello! Sorry for my english.

I just want to tell you that I totally understand you. I recently moved to Cyprus, it's hot and humid here, so locals say cockroaches is something very common. And I am scared to death, they appear at least once a week in my place, and most probably they come from outside, from windows and balcony door. So I keep those constantly closed, although the heat is killing me. I feel stupid, cause this fear makes me do stupid things, for example, one night when my husband was out, I saw one of these disgusting creatures in the in the bathroom. So because I was alone and I couldn't ask anybody to kill it, I actually had to close myself in my room and(!) I put a bunch of towels under the door, so it cannot get in. And of course, I couldn't sleep until like 4 am, when my husband was back. And every little sound made me think it's the cockroaches somewhere in the room, I was actually jumping on my bed, cause I could seriously "feel" them on my skin, which was only my fantasy, thanks god.,

Oh well... I just wish we handle this phobia, cause I really don't want to live in this nightmare for the rest of my life.

Good luck, Kunoichi!

Kunoichi, I totally get what you are saying. Being afraid can make us all feel silly at time. I was scared of coins in my mouth, when I never put them in there to begin with. A phobia plays just like a new CD, it will always play the same way. We actually have to "do" our fears. We learn it quickly, and it quickly can be unlearned. I work for the US Army, and I am a phobia cure expert. This is my expertise. Never give up, and best of luck to you.

Aaron Cornett,Certified Life Coach,Phobia Cure Expert

http://www.aaroncornett.com

I provide FREE coaching for veteran's due to deployment issues.

Hi everybody,

can't tell you how glad I am to have found this forum. A week ago I found an insect near our front door which sort of looked like a cockroach (but probably wasn't) and since then my phobia has been reactivated worse than ever. I immediately checked behind my fridge (nothing there), but I still can't calm down. Every insect is closely inspected, every speck of dirt or bit of fluff on the floor might be cockroach eggs - it's scaring the hell out of me because it's so irrational. Here comes the really ridiculous bit: I live in the middle of Europe where cockroaches are unusual - they hardly (if at all) exist in the wild but if you're unlucky you bring them in with food (they do exist in supermarkets etc.). I know this phobia is probably not about the roaches themselves but representative of other underlying issues, but I really struggle to get a grip.

I just hope it will subside as it always has in the past, but I'd be scared to death to have to travel to countries (for my job) where cockroaches are quite the norm (I know how ridiculous that must sound to you, living where this is the case, you probably think, what's her problem, up in the north). I'm also scared about therapy, where I might have to confront them.

My rational self knows how silly that is....

Best wishes, dandelion

Hiya dandelion

A huge welcome to phobia support :)

A phobia no matter what it is to that person is very very real and terryfying :(

Perhaps your doctor could send the therapist to your house and hopefully try and help you overcome this debilatating fear and no your not being ridiculous atall

I wish i could be of more help here but my phobia is agoraphobia, anxiety etc i have been housebound over seven year's so in a way although our fears are very differant to us they are taking over our lives, i wish you well in getting some help be it on here or with a therapist hopefully being able come to your house to help you :)

Also try our chatroom where you may find other's with similar experiances to yours :huh:

love dino

xxxx154welcome.gif

Hi Guys! I am also from Cyprus and during the summer the problem with cockroaches is terrible! I have had the phobia for as long as i can remember but this year its become uncontrollable and is literally taking over my life.

I found the first one in my bathroom about a month ago, I called a neighbor to come and get rid of it as I can't even kill one. Anyhow, the next day I put silicon all over the floor in each and every crack I could see in the whole apartment, I have blocked all the drains and pour bleach in them every day. I have put nets on the windows so nothing can fly in and I have a door stopper that doesn't even allow air through it. I know i sound paranoid and thats how i feel. This phobia is taking over my life in so many ways. For example, I avoid leaving the house at night because Im scared I'm going to find one at the entrance of the building and won't know what to do so i just stay home instead of having to dealing with something like that. Last night my mum called me to go over and order something to eat, I was skeptical to start with but then i thought to my self "be brave and just go" so I called her to speak to me while i was leaving the building and as i walked out the lift and turned left there it was. I screamed so loud it got confused and started running towards me so I ran back to the lift and managed to push the doors open with my arms (actually hurt myself) ran back upstairs and locked my self in the flat! I was crying hysterically for half an hour and told my mum i can't go. In the mean time my mum was waiting for the food to be delivered so she couldn't come and i actually felt bad leaving her alone with all the food we ordered. I called a friend to come and take me out the building and in to my car so i could go. Yesterday i realized i need serious help!

Kunoichi I understand you completely, and I also have the same problem with cleanliness and was wondering how could they appear in my flat after so much bleach and dettol but they do. I am so cautious of what goes on in my flat. I never leave unwashed dishes, i never leave food exposed in cupboards or anywhere for that matter!

Anyway, first thing tomorrow I am making some calls and going to see someone to help me over come this stupid phobia.

Bye!

I just wanted to add something Dandelion I actually thought of moving to a colder country where i wouldn't have to deal with these "demons" as i like to call them! and I am also afraid of seeing someone who would make me face my fear meaning having to confront one so i am going to see a homeopathic tomorrow apparently they can help with all kinds of phobias, anxieties and stress related matters!

I can totally emphathize with your cockroach phobia. It's irrational. It's crippling. It really cramps my style! And I am ashamed to admit it sometimes, because I really have no excuse - I am an entomologist - I study insects for a living, and I have dissected cockroaches, I even had 500 of them as pets at one time. Anyway, here is an article that might help with overcoming your phobia HOvercoming fear of cockroaches

Hi everyone. I'm glad I found this. I thought I was the strangest person when it came to this. I don't fear any kind of creature. Snakes, lizards, frogs, bats, rats you name it. I'm not afraid of any kind of bug... except these wretched creatures. I'm from Durban In South Africa and there are lots of these here. I remember 3 times I tried to be brave and kill one and ended up regretting it. The first time I threw a shoe at it and it flew right at me with it's nasty legs stretched out and it's lower body positioned like it was coming to sting me. I tried hitting with another shoe while it was still flying towards me but it just flew around the shoe I threw and kept on coming. All I could do now was scream. The second time I tried to step on one with a shoe. When raised my foot to see how it looked when it was dead... :o it had disappeared. I panicked looking around to see where it had gone, only to find that it was crawling up the inside of my pants. Screaming and kicking frantically helped in this case. The third time it was at night and I used insect spray. This made it really mad and it started flying around the room, bouncing off the walls. All I could do was hide under the blanket while this demon looked for me.

Just relating these experiences is giving me a headache. I want to get a huge flame gun so I can just burn any I see on the spot and be sure it's dead and wont come back.... :ph34r::angry:

Hi Steve

Although i have a differant phobia any phobia imo is a nightmare , i hope someone else here can relate to your's and also i'm sure you will be able to find even more support in our chatroom

love dino

xxxxxxx

78-Cat.gif

I know this thread existed a long time ago. I'm looking for support and I'm just wondering if any of your guys sought help and managed to overcome your phobia since then.

I've been afraid of them since I was a child. I live in sunny Singapore where it's always hot and humid, so I'll encounter 1 at home every few months. I don't even dare to kill -- I just run far away and get my parents to help kill.

I know I can't rely on them forever, I plan to move out soon and it terrifies me how crippled I will be if I stayed alone and a cockroach appeared (I don't even like to type this word).

I've tried googling for resources but WHY ARE THEY FILLED WITH DISGUSTING PICTURES! I gave up trying to google a solution because I can't stand the accompanying images. WHY oh WHY is a help article for phobia of cockroaches be filled with those images :(

Anyway, I've always thought one day I will outgrow this, but I haven't. I'm in my 30s. I've decided to try out hypnosis or hypnotherapy (I saw some mentions that this helps).

Honestly I have no idea. And I've read about desensitisation techniques but OH MAN, asking me to stare at photos of a cockroach until I'm not scared anymore?

I think I will get nightmares and I may puke.

At least you people are scrubbing your houses clean when you encounter one. i don't dare to step into my room now because there was a cockroach there last night.

I have NO IDEA if it has since flown off. I've fumigated my room with Baygon, and place 2 different cockroach repellents n my room.

If anyone has received any sort of therapy that worked for them and was not difficult to handle, please share your experiences with me. I badly need to overcome this fear.

Thank you.

Hi Shue23

Although i have a different phobia any phobia imo is a nightmare , i hope someone else here can relate to your's and also i'm sure you will be able to find even more support in our chatroom

Also have you spoken with your doctor about your fear as he/she hopefully could refer you for some type of counselling to help you overcome your fear

love dino

xXx

Again a huge

78-Cat.gif and i wish you all the best.

Ever since I could remember I've had this phobia and it really sucks. I live in Texas and it gets really hot here. And 2 days ago I saw a roach in my room while watching tv and I freaked out like I usually do and I started crying and called my sister, and she rushed over to look for it and kill it but she couldn't find it. I refuse to go into my room, and the day before that I saw one in the kitchen I freaked out and I tried to kill it, and I've only ever been able to kill one. I don't know if I killed it because I ran away and left my house. And then today I saw one down stairs because I decided to sleep on the couch but I heard a noise and I was already paranoid, when I got up to use the bathroom there it was backwards but moving to try to get back up and it had wings! I panicked again and started crying and now I'm hiding in my brothers restroom and I can't stop crying and it's 6:24 am here and everyone's asleep. And no one seems to understand just how severe I have this phobia unless you suffer from it too. Everyone tells me this is not normal for a 17 year old and they try to force me to kill them but I just cant. If anyone knows of something, anything on how to get rid of this phobia please comment about it.  Because right now I feel so paranoid like they're following me I know this is ridiculous but I've seen 3 in a row already 

Hi Jsauce

A huge welcome to the forum , have you spoken to your doctor about your fears if not perhaps he /she could help you eliminate your fears a bit by some type of therapy

Also please try the chat room where others there nay have similar fears and can help you

Again 154welcome.gifdino x