• Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Hi I'm new to this and have never felt the need to discuss anything before as I have always managed to work things out myself but I am soooo overwhelmed and am on edge because of fear and anxiety around ants which have invaded my home. I have done everything including phoning a pest control company who refused to come out to me tonight despite their 24 hour call out saying they could get to me maybe tomorrow if it was required ! They are mainly small flying ones and it has been going on for several days now that I'm now scared to even be in the house. I have taped my windows up but they are still coming from somewhere. I suppose I am just looking for reassurance from someone to say that it's ok and they will go but my reading about such on the internet only heightens my fear of such - is it just me or is there anyone else with this ? 

Mtude,

First let me say a huge Welcome to the forum !!!  :), and always feel free to come and post anything you feel , is bothering you...

A phobia to anything is a very frightening and very real cause of anxiety , so do not feel  alone , you are among many people who suffer from phobias  .  I hope that by tomorrow when the exterminators can get to you ,  that all will be resolved .  I can say that every once in a while here when the weather is extremely hot , we do have ants that get in , and do not try to figure out how .. LOL >> they are smart they find a way .... Until we can control that , I do become very anxious when I see them crawling ... and feel like my house is filthy  .. :mellow:.. and is not , just the fear of all of the creepy critters , invading my space..

Good luck and keep us updated on this problem , also you might like to try to look into the chat room , that too is very helpful ...

Again Welcome :)  ,

Florence xxx   

Thank you Florence, I'm glad it's normal and the sight of just even one now sends me into an immediate panic state . I found a flying one in the drawer today but no obvious signs of others but the weather has been cooler and some rain today so I think they have kept hidden but I know they are still there. The exterminators won't come out until they are practically all over the house so I'm now even embarrassed about phoning them !. I think I just need some reassurance that everything is going to be ok and that it will stop at some point?

:) Hello Again Mtude !! 

Yes ,rest assured that when the weather is better and not so hot , as u said today was, they will be gone . Also do not worry about your fear.. that is normal , and for it to cause anxiety , that goes along with the fear .. I wish you well and hopefully they will leave on their own. Still feel free to come in to forum and chat , or the chat room , did you try that yet ??  Most important , do not be ashamed of your phobia , most people have them , some talk about them and others suffer alone .. :mellow: , It is better to talk about any phobias ..  

Take care ,

Florence xxx

Thank you - I did try the chat room last night and was able to chat it through with the people who were there. It helped in as much as I got a good nights sleep and it gave me some confidence back although I woke up with in trepidation about going to the kitchen this morning. The people in the chat room were really friendly and I felt comfortable in being able to open up. 

so, through the chats, I am trying to work through this and what is helping to ease my anxiety when im not in the kitchen is the following ; its normal that they are there and everyone gets them, they wont nest in the house as they live in the ground, the reason they are there is to forrage for food to take back to such and not seeking new dwellings, they will always find a way in and its common plus .the light at the end of the tunnel one for me is ,that eventually they will go when the season changes so whilst i feel slightly more at ease, how Can i stop  the panicky feeling that I get when i know that i need to go into the room (my expectation being that there will be some) - i am deliberately staying at work longer to delay having to go home which i have to do - lol. 

I know this below is easier said than done Mtude but anythings worth a try ....hope this helps if even a tiny bit

Panic attacks are sudden, unexpected episodes of fear accompanied by physical symptoms such as racing heart, shallow breathing, sweating and dizziness. Since panic attacks result from the body's misguided preparation to fight for survival or flee for safety, you can counteract a panic attack by relaxing the body and slowing down its preparation for battle. Changing your breathing is the most straightforward and effective way of reassuring your body that it's not in danger.

Anticipation Makes Panic Worse

According to a 2006 National Comorbidity Survey published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, only about one-sixth of those who experience panic attacks develop panic disorder, an anxiety disorder characterized by frequent, recurrent panic attacks and a preoccupation with future attacks. But even periodic panic attacks are unpleasant and frightening, and most people who have had them experience some degree of dread at the thought of additional attacks.

The problem is that response to panic attacks and anticipation of future attacks can affect the frequency and intensity of these attacks. All panic attacks start with an initial wave of panic and some physical symptoms, and the severity of the attack is the direct result of the response to those first sensations. Unfortunately, many people respond with additional panic but it's this fear of fear that can drive a panic attack to severe heights. Changing your response to initial panic can minimize the attack and allow it to pass more quickly. The easiest way to do this is with breathing.

Shallow, rapid breathing makes panic worse. Slower, deeper breathing relaxes the body, slows heart rate and demonstrates to the body that everything is okay. One way to see if your breathing is deep enough is if your belly rises and falls as you breathe. Place your hands over your belly so you can feel the air being pulled deep into the diaphragm. Try to make your hands rise and fall as your breathing slows.

Exhale Slowly

Slowing the rate that you breathe out will make your body more relaxed. Extend how long it takes to exhale, and be sure to exhale completely. With each breath, try to increase the amount of time it takes to push all the air out of your lungs.

Don't Blow Out the Candle

One way to slow down your breathing is to pretend that there is a lit candle in front of you that you don't want to blow out. (Of course, you can practice with a real candle as well.) Blowing at a flame gently enough that it doesn't go out guarantees a slow, measured exhalation that will lower your heart rate and make you feel more relaxed.

Inhale Nose, Exhale Mouth

It's easy for your mind to wander while you're trying to slow down your breathing. Instead, give yourself something to focus on. Breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth is unnatural and requires concentration. Directing your attention to your breathing in this way will distract you from anxious thoughts and allow you to gain greater control over your breathing.

thanks Dino - I will give this a try. everything here makes logical sense -  im nervous and unsure at the best of times but this situation overwhelmed my ability to cope and so became nervous and wanted to just run away and avoid the house altogether but at the same time so frustrated and really really angry with myself.  the help ive received here both on forum and chat definitely helping and I  am starting to get some confidence back